The Pentax Optio M50 (announced 23 January 2008) is an 8 megapixel point and shoot digital camera with a 2.5 inch LCD screen and 5x optical zoom lens (36mm – 180mm equivalent).
The Optio M50 features face recognition technology (exposure and focus based), ‘auto picture’ mode which picks the best shooting mode for you, digital shake reduction and a variety of other shooting modes.
It has 51 megabytes of internal memory and comes in silver, light blue and pink.
Pentax Optio M50 Fact Sheet
With a high resolution of 8.0 effective megapixels and a high-performance PENTAX lens, the Optio M50 offers clear images.
5X optical zoom lens
The PENTAX Optio M50 is equipped with a 5X optical zoom lens (angle of view equivalent to 36 to 180 mm lens in 35 mm format). A perfect zoom for portraits, landscapes, and other settings, the camera also features a digital zoom function (approx. 1X to 5.1X) for a maximum zoom equivalent to 25.5X.
Three Color Options
The Optio M50 will be available in the United States in a choice of three colors: silver, pink and blue.
Generous 2.5 Inch LCD Monitor With Wide Viewing Angle
The Optio M50 features a large, 2.5 inch IPS LCD monitor with approximately 230,000 dots resolution for easy viewing of the screen during photography, playback and for easier camera operating and setting. With a wide viewing angle of approximately 170 degrees from all directions, the monitor also makes it easy to confirm images even from the side or when viewing images in a group.
Face Recognition AF & AE
Featuring Face Recognition Auto Focus and Auto Exposure, the M50 can automatically detect and focus on up to 15 faces and set the optimum exposure. In addition, a Smile Capture function distinguishes smiles on a subject and automatically releases the shutter.
Evolved Auto Picture
Unique to PENTAX cameras, the Auto Picture mode allows the camera to automatically determine the shooting conditions and program settings for Landscape, Portrait, Night Scene, Normal, Flower and Sports mode.
Digital Shake Reduction
Digital Shake Reduction mode reduces camera shake and blur by adjusting sensitivity automatically to as high as ISO 6400 to match the brightness of the subjects. This feature allows photography at faster shutter speeds with less blur.
Pentax Optio M50 Additional Features
- Movie recording function with shake reduction enabling high image quality rivaling camcorders
- Mode palette provides quick access to 16 shooting conditions and 15 playback modes
- Panorama mode for stitching three photographs into 1 panoramic picture
- Auto-Macro allows for close-up photography as near as 5 inches (10cm) without changing the normal focusing mode
- Auto-tracking AF continuously focuses on a moving subject
- Date imprint function for easy image categorizing
- Approximately 51.1MB of built-in memory
- FotoNation’s red-eye compensation function for flash shots
- Includes the ACDSee for PENTAX 3.0 image viewer/image management software that supports Windows VistaTM
- Support PictBridge, DPOF functions, Exif Print, and PRINT Image Matching III